1. DID YOU KNOW a sardine is a generic term applied to various kinds of small, saltwater fish which are prepared, cooked and packed in a special way such as BRUNSWICK® sardines?
2. DID YOU KNOW BRUNSWICK® Sardines are juvenile Atlantic Herring? These fish travel in huge schools and live in the open ocean, ranging from Greenland to North Carolina, USA. The smallest of these herring are canned as sardines, while larger ones are filleted to make BRUNSWICK®Seafood Snacks.
3. DID YOU KNOW recent medical research indicates that Omega-3 can play a significant role in the prevention of heart disease, dyslexia, arrhythmia, and stroke? BRUNSWICK® sardines are power packed with these essential fatty acids.
4. DID YOU KNOW Omega-3 fatty acids are found almost exclusively in marine animals and plants? All seafood provides some quantity of Omega-3, but cold-water fish, like the sardines and herring used by BRUNSWICK®, contain the high amounts of these heart healthy fatty acids.
5. DID YOU KNOW research indicates Omega-3 fatty acids reduce the risk of heart attack and stroke by decreasing the chance of blood clot formation? Cold-water fish, like the sardines and herring used by BRUNSWICK®, contain the high amounts of these heart healthy fatty acids.
6. DID YOU KNOW BRUNSWICK® Sardines and Seafood Snacks don’t require refrigeration or cooking? To maximize shelf life, they should be stored in a cool, dry place. After opening, they can be kept in a well-operating refrigerator for a maximum of four days.
7. DID YOU KNOW BRUNSWICK® Sardines and Seafood Snacks are a great snack but are also a good part of a well-balanced diet?
8. DID YOU KNOW BRUNSWICK® Sardines are a good source of calcium? Calcium helps build and maintain healthy bones and teeth. It is also required for muscle contraction, blood clotting and nerve function. It may also help in preventing osteoporosis.
9. DID YOU KNOW BRUNSWICK® Sardines and Seafood Snacks are a good source of protein? Protein helps build and repair body tissues and build antibodies.
10. DID YOU KNOW BRUNSWICK® Sardines and Seafood Snacks contain iron? Iron helps build red blood cells that improve concentration, prevent anemia, and lower susceptibility to colds and infections.
11. DID YOU KNOW BRUNSWICK® Sardines and Seafood Snacks contain potassium? Potassium promotes cellular growth and helps the body maintain normal water balance and regulate neuromuscular activity.
12. DID YOU KNOW BRUNSWICK®Sardines and Seafood Snacks contain vitamin B-12? Vitamin B- 12 is needed for building red blood cells and proper functioning of both the nervous system and gastrointestinal tract.
13. DID YOU KNOW BRUNSWICK® Sardines and Seafood Snacks contain riboflavin? Riboflavin, also known as vitamin B2, is essential for growth. It plays a role in protein, carbohydrate, and fat metabolism.
14. DID YOU KNOW BRUNSWICK® Sardines and Seafood Snacks are a source of vitamins and minerals? These vitamins are: A, D, B1, B2, B6, and B12. These minerals are: niacin, phosphorus, magnesium, iron and zinc.
15. DID YOU KNOW BRUNSWICK® Sardines contain no preservatives or additives? They also do not contain artificial flavours or colours, hydrogenated fats, hydrolyzed plant proteins or tropical oils.
16. DID YOU KNOW the body cannot make Omega-3 fatty acids? They must be obtained from food you eat such as BRUNSWICK® sardines.
17. DID YOU KNOW Omega-3 plays many different roles in the health of our bodies, including the immune system and vision? Cold-water fish, like the sardines and herring used by BRUNSWICK®, contain the high amounts of these heart healthy fatty acids.
18. DID YOU KNOW brothers Patrick and Lewis Connors first started packingBRUNSWICK® sardines in the mid-1880’s? Cans were used with equipment brought from Eastport, USA to Blacks Harbour, Canada.
19. DID YOU KNOW the BRUNSWICK® Blacks Harbour, N.B., Canada plant is recognized as the largest sardine processing facility in the world?
20. DID YOU KNOW that BRUNSWICK® Sardines and other seafood products are sold in over 50 countries around the world?
21. DID YOU KNOW BRUNSWICK® sardines come in a range of flavours? The exciting and contemporary sauce offerings to meet today’s changing consumer taste preferences are: Soya Oil, Spring Water, Hot Peppers, Tomato Sauce, Mustard Sauce, Lemon Sauce and Louisiana Hot Sauce.
22. DID YOU KNOW BRUNSWICK® Seafood Snacks are made from boneless herring fillets?
23. DID YOU KNOW BRUNSWICK® Sardines and Seafood Snacks meet and exceed rigorous quality control standards using globally accepted principles in compliance with CFIA and HACCP?
24. DID YOU KNOW BRUNSWICK® Sardines and Herring Snacks are carefully packed in Canada using a variety of sophisticated machinery and equipment? This includes robotics and computerized vision systems in addition to hand packing.
25. DID YOU KNOW the first ever flavours of BRUNSWICK® sardines were cottonseed oil and mustard?
26. DID YOU KNOW over the last 100 years, BRUNSWICK® has custom engineered a number of processes for packing technology? BRUNSWICK® focuses on selecting the finest raw materials and maintaining state-of-the-art processing facilities to produce the highest quality product.
27. DID YOU KNOW the major polyunsaturated fatty acid in seafood is Omega-3? Cold-water fish, like the sardines and herring used by BRUNSWICK®, contain the high amounts of these heart healthy fatty acids.
28. DID YOU KNOW BRUNSWICK® Sardines and Seafood Snacks are certified Kosher under the Orthodox Union? The encircled U that appears on the packaging indicates kosher certification.
29. DID YOU KNOW BRUNSWICK® Sardines and Seafood Snacks are gluten-free?
30. DID YOU KNOW BRUNSWICK® Sardines and Seafood Snacks do not contain MSG (monosodium glutamate)?
31. DID YOU KNOW nutritional information is available for BRUNSWICK® Sardines and Seafood Snacks at www.brunswick.ca?
32. DID YOU KNOW BRUNSWICK® has developed a number of delicious recipes to help you and your family enjoy these products more often? Recipes are listed in the Recipes section at www.brunswick.ca
33. DID YOU KNOW sardines are an important part of a healthy diet and sodium is an essential nutrient? BRUNSWICK® Sardines in Soya Oil contain only 240 mg of sodium and BRUNSWICK® Sardines in Spring Water contain only 200 mg of sodium per can. Sodium levels vary by products and are listed in the Products section at www.brunswick.ca
34. DID YOU KNOW BRUNSWICK® Sardines and Seafood Snacks are good for people with diabetes? This is because people with diabetes have a higher risk of problems such as heart disease and stroke. A proper diet that includes canned fish may help control diabetes. For more information on managing your diet and living with diabetes you should contact your local diabetic organization, physician or registered dietician.
35. DID YOU KNOW if you need to watch your cholesterol BRUNSWICK® Sardines and Seafood Snacks make a healthy addition to your diet? Saturated fat, not cholesterol, is the real culprit that increases blood cholesterol readings. The Omega-3 found in cold-water fish, like the herring used in BRUNSWICK® Sardines and Seafood Snacks, may help to reduce blood cholesterol levels.
36. DID YOU KNOW BRUNSWICK® Sardines and Seafood Snacks contain a powerhouse of nutrients? Clinical research indicates that DHA and EPA Omega-3 essential fatty acids:
• Help to reduce the incidence of heart disease.
• Help to reduce total cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
• Help to reduce the risk of heart attack and stroke by decreasing the chance of blood clot formation. Medical research indicates that the fatty acids of Omega-3 may thin blood platelets, thereby making them less likely to form clots.
• In some cases, help to ease the symptoms of asthma, arthritis, hypertension and psoriasis.
• Help to reduce the effects of dyslexia.
• Help to stop arrhythmia.
• May play a role in reducing the risk of diabetes, breast and prostate cancer, emphysema, cystic fibrosis, attention deficit disorder, angina and inflammatory bowel disease.
• Play a key role during pregnancy and nursing. DHA aids in development of the cerebral cortex and the retina of the unborn child.
37. DID YOU KNOW eating two cans of BRUNSWICK® Sardines a week provides between 2 and 3 grams of the Omega-3 you need to promote good health?
38. DID YOU KNOW BRUNSWICK® Sardines are an excellent source of Vitamin D, a good source of Protein and Calcium, and contain Omega-3?